- News: Local and State Leaders Recognize the State Workforce Board. Click here to learn more.
- News: Women at Work: ‘Pre-Apprenticeships’ Boost Female Construction Workers. Click here to learn more.
- Slingshot in the News! Local manufacturers launch youth job training initiative. Click here to learn more: https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/news/2018/03/05/local-manufacturers-launch-youth-job-training.html
- Accelerator making News! The San Francisco SPCA has collaborated with Jewish Vocational Service (JVS) and Foothill College to launch the first-ever veterinary assistant apprenticeship program in the field of animal health. Click here for more details: https://www.sfspca.org/who-we-are/press/press-releases/san-francisco-spca-and-jewish-vocational-service-partnership-foothill-college-launch-first-its-kind
- Governor Brown issued a proclamation declaring February 11-17, 2018 as “California Earned Income Tax Credit Awareness Week.” To learn more about Cal EITC, visit their website at CalEITC4me.org.
- MAKING NEWS: SLINGSHOT: CA Program looks for solutions to skills gap. Click on CA Program hyperlink for details.
- Learn more about California’s Competitive Integrated Employment (CIE) Initiative including links to local resources here.
- The State Board’s latest policy brief explores emerging best practices and model partnerships for serving Out-Of-School Youth under WIOA and the California WIOA Unified Strategic Workforce Development Plan. Read about it here.
- English Language Learners Policy Brief January 2017
The California Labor Workforce & Development Agency in conjunction with the State Board have released a Policy Brief on best practices to assist locals in delivering services to the English Language Learner (ELL) Population.
- CalWORKs Policy Brief
Building Career Pathways for CalWORKs Participants Using Best Practices and Model Partnerships. Read more about it here. Click on the link.
Current job openings with the California Workforce Development Board:
Policy Implementation and Administrative Support
Deputy Director – SSM II
Corrections Workforce Partnership Team
Research Analyst II-General
Regional Implementation and System Alignment Team
Climate and Jobs Grant and Initiatives Manager – SSMI
State Plan and Policy Team
Research Analyst II – General
Research Analyst I – General
April 16, 2018
LA SlingShot Region Final Leadership/Partnership Meeting
Location: Quiet Cannon Conference and Event Center
901 Via San Clemente
Montebello, CA 90640
May 2-4, 2018
CWA Work-Con Conference, San Diego, CA.
For more info: www.calworkforce.org/WORKCON2018
May 3, 2018 10:00am-12:00pm
State Workforce Executive Committee – Quarterly Meeting
Location: California Workforce Development Board
800 Capitol Mall, Suite 1022
Sacramento, CA 95814
May 16, 2018
Fair Chance Employer Summit
Hosted by the Contra Costa WDB
For more info: EVENT INFO
May 17, 2018 10:00am-12:00pm
State Workforce Development Board – Quarterly Meeting
Location: Hospitality Training Academy
130 S. Alvarado Street, Second Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90057
May 24, 2018
East Bay RPU – AMBay Area Summit 2018
For more info: https://www.ambayarea.com/summit2018
Established by Executive Order in response to the mandate of the federal Workforce Investment Act (WIA) of 1998 (Public Law 105-220), the Board assists the Governor in setting and guiding policy in the area of workforce development.
The California Workforce Development Board (State Board) is responsible for assisting the Governor in performing the duties and responsibilities required by the federal Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act of 2014.
All members of the Board are appointed by the Governor and represent the many facets of workforce development – business, labor, public education, higher education, economic development, youth activities, employment and training, as well as the Legislature.
The Board meets on a regular basis and the public is encouraged to attend the meetings. Decisions are reached through a collaborative process.
The Board’s Strategic Plan directs its work in providing guidance to the statewide workforce investment system.
- CA Community Colleges Econ & Workforce Development
- California Labor and Workforce Development Agency
- Employment Development Department
- California Department of Industrial Relations
- California Department of Education
- State Personnel Board
- EDD/Labor Market Information Division
- EDD Policy & Guidance
- California Employment Training Panel
- Workforce Investment Works
- California Department of Rehabilitation