Established by Executive Order in response to the mandate of the federal Workforce Investment Act (WIA) of 1998 (Public Law 105-220), the Board assists the Governor in setting and guiding policy in the area of workforce development.
The California Workforce Development Board (CWDB) is responsible for assisting the Governor in performing the duties and responsibilities required by the federal Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act of 2014.
All members of the Board are appointed by the Governor and represent the many facets of workforce development – business, labor, public education, higher education, economic development, youth activities, employment and training, as well as the Legislature.
The Board meets on a regular basis and the public is encouraged to attend the meetings. Decisions are reached through a collaborative process.
***NEW*** The application deadline for the HRTP Low Carbon Economy Workforce Program Request for Applications has been extended to Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 3:00PM PT.
- Press Release – November 9, 2020
In celebration of National Apprenticeship Week (NAW) 2020, the California Workforce Development Board (CWDB) presents PAVING THE HIGH ROAD TO A RESILIENT ECONOMY: The Power of Pre-Apprenticeship for Equity, Climate, and Quality Jobs.
- Press Release – October 29, 2020
CPUC and State Workforce Development Board sign agreement to advance shared prosperity as California transitions to zero-emissions energy and transportation system.
- Governor Newsom Statement on the Passing of Dr. Alma Salazar (October 7th, 2020)
ANNOUNCEMENT: SB1 Technical Assistance Request for Applications, due date extended.
To support the SB1 High Road Construction Careers (HRCC) initiative, the California Workforce Development Board (CWDB) is pleased to announce the availability of up to $700,000 total in Technical Assistance to fund a Project Support Network (up to $500,000) and Regional Coordination (up to $200,000) to support the development, implementation, and sustainability of the High Road Construction Careers regional pre-apprenticeship partnerships. Applications are due Monday, August 17, 2020 by 3:00PM Pacific Time. For more information, and the full RFA, see the HRCC initiative page under the SB1 Program.
- Due to the novel coronavirus, the CWDB is aiming to announce HRCC: SB1 awards in late April/early May. Please continue to check this website for further updates. If awarded, you will also be notified via email. Thank you and stay safe!
The CWDB is pleased to announce awards for Workforce Accelerator Fund 8.0! This round was focused on innovative strategies to address barriers impacting employment for populations experiencing homelessness or housing insecurity. If you have any questions, please contact CWDBInfo@cwdb.ca.gov with “Accelerator Award Question” in the subject line. To see the full list of awards, go to the Accelerator Initiative page.
- ***Due to the holiday observed on Monday, January 20th, 2020, the deadline to submit the HRCC: SB1 Program Application has been extended and will now be due on Tuesday, January 21st by 3:00 PM Pacific Time.***
- AB1111 Breaking Barriers to Employment Awards announced. For more information, visit the AB1111 Breaking Barriers to Employment Initiative page.
- The California Workforce Development Board (CWDB) and the Employment Development Department (EDD) are pleased to announce the availability of up to $750,000 in Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) funds to assess and evaluate the America’s Job Center of CaliforniaSM (AJCC) system. Visit the initiatives web page, for more information.
- The Workforce Accelerator Fund 8.0 Request for Applications is now available! Check out the Accelerator web page for more information.
- The California Workforce Development Board is pleased to announce the release of the Regional Plan Implementation/Slingshot 3.0 Initiative Request for Applications. Check out the Regional CA initiative page for more information.
- The California Workforce Development Board is pleased to assist with the Prison to Employment Initiative by providing Data Reporting Guidance.
- Due to the high volume of interest, an additional application webinar has been added for the Breaking Barriers to Employment RFA. If you have already registered for the 7/24 workshop, DO NOT REGISTER AGAIN. For full details, please see the AB1111 initiative page HERE
- Just announced! The California Workforce Development Board is pleased to announce the release of the AB1111 Breaking Barriers to Employment RFA. For full details, significant dates and the RFA, please see the AB1111 Initiative page HERE
- *Updated* AB1111 Letter of Intent to apply is available now. Click here for the template. **The due date for letters has been extended to June 24, 2019 3 PM PST.** For more information about AB1111, go to the initiative page here.
- English Language Learner Co-Enrollment Grants Awards have been awarded. See the Information Notice here.
The Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz) has announced that the California Community Reinvestment Grants (CalCRG) program Grant Solicitation is now available.The Grant Solicitation and link to the Online Application Portal, as well as an Application User Guide and Frequently Asked Questions, can be found on the CalCRG website at www.business.ca.gov/CalCRG. Click on the ‘Apply Now’ button located on the CalCRG website to access the Online Application Portal.
- Additional Accelerator 7.0 Awards Announced.For more information, go to the Accelerator Initiative page.
- Just Added!The Labor and Workforce Development Agency, California Workforce Development Board and the Employment Development Department are pleased to announce the availability of up to $1.2 million in Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) for ELL Co-Enrollment Pilots. These funds will support projects that increase access for target populations, align WIOA programs, implement co-enrollment strategies, leverage other program funding and provide supportive services for California’s English Language Learner (ELL) population. An additional $500,000 is available for services to provide coordinated technical assistance and evaluation. For more information, view the full RFA here.
Current job openings with the California Workforce Development Board:
Policy, Research and Legislation Branch
Program Implementation and Regional Support Branch
Staff Services Analyst/Associate Governmental Program Analyst – https://jobs.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Jobs/JobPosting.aspx?JobControlId=213073
**This is a re-advertisement, if you previously applied, you do not have to re-apply**
- CA Community Colleges Econ & Workforce Development
- California Labor and Workforce Development Agency
- Employment Development Department
- California Department of Industrial Relations
- California Department of Education
- State Personnel Board
- EDD/Labor Market Information Division
- EDD Policy & Guidance
- California Employment Training Panel
- Workforce Investment Works
- California Department of Rehabilitation