California's Unified Strategic Workforce Development Plan 2016-2020
Consistent with the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA), the State Board has developed its State Plan with three policy objectives in mind. These objectives affect both state-level policy and administrative practices across programs as well as local policy and service delivery:
- Fostering “demand-driven skills attainment”. Workforce and education programs need to align program content with the state’s industry sector needs so as to provide California’s employers and businesses with the skilled workforce necessary to compete in the global economy.
- Enabling upward mobility for all Californians, including populations with barriers to employment. Workforce and education programs need to be accessible for all Californians and ensure that everyone has access to a marketable set of skills, and is able to access the level of education necessary to get a good job that ensures both long-term economic self-sufficiency and economic security.
- Aligning, coordinating, and integrating programs and services to economize limited resources to achieve scale and impact, while also providing the right services to clients, based on each client’s particular and potentially unique needs, including any needs for skills-development.
This State Plan provides the policy framework and direction for day-to-day operations of WIOA-funded programs, while also laying out a vision for collaboration with non-WIOA programs that provide relevant programs and services. Across California, regional partnerships have developed to address the state’s workforce challenges. The role of state agency and state department plan partners under this plan is to help develop regional leadership and local and regional program alignment and scale by means of coordinated policy direction, program oversight, program support, and technical assistance for and to local and regional service providers covered by the plan. State Plan, state agency and departmental partners include the following:
- Labor and Workforce Development Agency (LWDA)
- California Workforce Development Board (CWDB)
- California Community Colleges’ Chancellor’s Office (CCCCO)
- California Department of Education (CDE)
- California Board of Education
- Employment Development Department (EDD)
- Employment Training Panel (ETP)
- Department of Rehabilitation (DOR)
- California Department of Social Services (CDSS)
- Health and Human Services Agency (HHS)
- Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz)
The individual components of the State Plan are below.
- CA Community Colleges Econ & Workforce Development
- California Labor and Workforce Development Agency
- Employment Development Department
- California Department of Industrial Relations
- California Department of Education
- State Personnel Board
- EDD/Labor Market Information Division
- EDD Policy & Guidance
- California Employment Training Panel
- Workforce Investment Works
- California Department of Rehabilitation
California Workforce Development Board
800 Capitol Mall, Suite 1022
Sacramento CA 95814